It’s a month for spreading joy and bringing cheer. One simply can’t help smiling as sleigh bells ring, gifts are exchanged, and people wish good tidings everywhere you go; the joy is simply contagious. Perhaps no other time of year demonstrates the catching quality of attitudes quite like the Christmas season. Unfortunately, not all contagious attitudes are so cheery. Negativity and bullying can spread like wildfire, as can the sadness and pain that accompanies those actions.
You will need:
In the book we read about A. Blob and learn that it has no friends because it bullies…and it bullies because it has no friends. Sadly, this situation is not uncommon. Many children who bully and cause pain do so because they are in pain or have been bullied themselves. Often, the response to bullying is to respond with anger, violence, and more negativity and the vicious cycle continues. This craft recollects the main character of the story while also providing a visual reminder that our actions and attitudes can be catching—for better or worse.
3. Once you have your desired shape, fold the blank half of paper over to the shaving cream half and press GENTLY. It is crucial that you don’t completely press the paper down or else you will just get a colored piece of paper and the shaving cream squished everywhere, then unfold your paper
4. Taking a craft stick or any flat scraping device (I used cardboard), gently scrape the shaving cream off the paper, leaving your print behind
5. Let paper sit until dry
6. Once dry, draw on eyes and any words or designs you’d like. I wrote “Attitudes are Contagious”. You could also draw A. Blob’s thoughts and emotions inside
7. Talk about what students learned from the craft. Do they see how one attitude easily transfers to others? How will this affect the way they act in the future?
8. Hang up finished prints as a reminder to spread joy and not negativity!
We hope you enjoy this quick and easy craft! Check back here each week for more crafts and insights. If you try this craft at home, please share your work in the comments! We’d love to see what you create!
About Laughing Leopard Press
Hello! We are Laughing Leopard Press, an independent book publisher from Akron, Ohio. At Laughing Leopard Press, we’re interested in publishing works that contribute to our understanding of this wonderful world. Through this blog, we hope to add to that understanding with commentary on life, literature, and a few things in between. We hope you enjoy the blog and take some time to talk with us in the comments or on our social media sites. Happy reading!
This is A. Blob by L. A Kefalos. $14.95
$1.00 is donated to charity for each book sold on this site--half to St. Jude's and the other half to PetFix Northeast Ohio.